Santa María Virgen Episcopal Church
Rev. Gerardo Logildes Coroas, Pastor
The Church is located in the village of Itabo in northwest Cuba.
Missionary work began in 1934, guided by an extraordinary servant of God, Mary Macum Thompson, who carried out her work of love and service to the people, especially the marginalized.
The pastoral work was growing in the church, and took a leap at the arrival in Itabo of Rev. Deacon Griselda Delgado del Carpio in 1988.
From 2003 the Church opened several ministries and began to implement community projects that favored food security in a sustainable way. The educational and pastoral work with children and adolescents was strong. Thanks to the great impetus of the lay minister Gerardo Logildes, together with the lay leaders, the Work was able to expand.
The Rev. Griselda Delgado del Carpio, who began her ministry as Deacon in 1986 and Priest in 1990, was appointed in 2010 as a Diocesan Bishop, so she had to move to Havana that same year.
Itabo has a long history of partnership with St. Mark's Church in Jacksonville, Florida, about to turn 30 years of uninterrupted exchange. In 2013 an Ultraviolet Water Purification System was installed, thanks to Christ Church in Bronxville, NY.
Today, Santa María Virgen is a living sign of service to her congregation.